Monday, July 21, 2008

Road to Cali

If you are familiar with the story of Crash, then you will see that these stories intersect. The same week that Katie got in a car accident and found out that she was pregnant, our friend Chris asked us to pray about helping him and his wife Lyndsey start a brand new church. We were excited until he told us where it was going to be...Chula Vista, California....Chula Whatsa? Had it been St. Louis, Indy, Chicago...I don't even know if we would have given it much thought or prayer, but when we heard California, our hearts sunk a little cause that's like another world away. Plus we had just bought a house only 2 years ago + I had just gotten a great job at the University of Illinois + we were going to have a baby + much of our family is in Champaign...the timing just wasn't great to pack up everything and leave for a place that is far away from loved ones and is over-the-top expensive. We really had to struggle + wrestle with God over this. One day as I was praying early in the morning, I felt like I heard God say, "It's no coincidence that these happened in the same week. You trusted me to give you a child even though the odds were stacked against you + I showed myself to be faithful...now I want you to trust me with this California Church Planting thing and watch how I provide even though it makes no sense through the lense of traditional wisdom." Wow...I heard so clearly that we were being called out to the people of southern California, but Katie was still very unsettled + didn't have a peace about it. For that reason I didn't share with her my feelings about it because I didn't want her feeling any pressure. I knew that God would either call both of us to go, or call both of us to stay and I told him that if we were supposed to go that he would have to get Katie on board. We talked about it one Saturday night just to feel each other out on what we were thinking about it. Katie said that she still had a lot of anxiety about it and didn't have a peace about it, so I just reciprocated the same feeling (as to not let on that I had heard from God). The very next morning, Katie came down stairs and said, "I can't believe I am about to say this, but...I have a total peace about it. I think we are supposed to go to California!" We went to church that morning + there was a guest speaker from another church talking about how church planting is the primary vehicle of the Gospel to go to the world. God confirmed it to us + to our friends and family that this was definitely His leading. All along the way, God has shown us that He is in control despite circumstances. The U of I told me that they would like to keep me in my current position...from Chula Vista, California!? What? No just wait....Then our house sells in a bad market after only owning it for a little over 2 years for our full asking price with a closing date of the end of the month, so we won't even owe another mortgage payment. Finally, the only thing that we had left to do was find homes for our bunnies, Abbey + Helah. If not, then they would just have to be dropped off at the Humane Society and if a home could not be found, they would be put to sleep. Katie prayed, "God you have taken care of everything else + I know you care about even this. Why wouldn't you find homes for them too?" The very next day she got an email from a couple at church who was excited to take both bunnies! God is so faithful + he has cleared the way for us to follow his calling. So we are just putting our feet on the path that God is leading us on and we know that for this season of our lives, we will be living with + loving the people of Southern California + telling them about Jesus. Thanks to everyone who is supporting us in love, in prayer, through financial means (including Starbucks + Jamba giftcards...thanks Mom!) back in Illinois. We love you all so much!

1 comment:

Gary, Melissa and Nolan said...

I am glad everyting has worked out for you all. Good luck with your move!